The town is situated in fertile plain of Trnava range hills, 50 km from the capital city Bratislava. The surroundings of Trnava was colonized already from the 8th century by the Slavs.
Another interesting site is the protected area of Trnava Trnava ponds. Represents an important type ofaquatic and wetland habitat at the Trnava upland that significantly affect the composition of biota, particularly birds of the region. The first mention of this site dates back to 1528, the entire pond systemwas the completion in 1955 – the 1956th Around the pond is lined with remnants of lowland forest.Natural wealth Trnava ponds is very diverse. The diversity of flora and nature of territories subject togreat species diversity of the local fauna. Deserve the greatest attention to birds, particularly in terms ofoccurrence and nesting. The pond is found up to 150 protected bird species, representing 78.5% of the total number of species found here, from an ornithological belong to a unique wetland habitatsregional significance. In the vicinity of Trnava is a natural swimming ponds, stone mill.
A nearby town of Trnava is situated Malé Karpaty Mountains, protected landscape, providing residentsof Trnava and its visitors a wide range of leisure activities. The distinctive charm of the mountainscome right guard the ruins of castles to protect the crossing over the Little Carpathians. / Ostry Kamen,Good Water, Smolenice /. His charm, however, have some village near Trnava.
The Molpir museum
It is located in the Smolenice village, in its exhibitions there are the archeological excavations of the ancient village Molpir (400m), where were discoveries the prehistoric areas, the Celtic villages and the Slavic colony. In the museum are also the fauna and flora collections of the Small Carpathian mountains. Visiting hours: Tuesday – Sunday from the 10.00 until 16.00.
The national nature reserve of Dolina Hlboce – it has 123 hectares and in its low part is located the only one waterfall of the Small Carpathian high 9 m. In the nature reserve is situated the Driny Cave – only accessible cave in the Small Carpathian. It is long 680 m cave, of which are accessible only 410 m. The cave was discovered by J. Banic and J. Vajsabel in the 1929. Visiting hours: 1.4 – 31.10; entered every hour from the 09.00 until the 16.00; duration of the guided tour 35 min. phone: + 421 33/5586200
The tourist resort Jahodnik – the discovery of the cave has given beginning to the birth of this center. There is the possibility to lodge in the zone of weekend-house village with a pool and restaurant.
From Smolenice it is possible to go up on near hills as Cierna skala, Veterlin, Havranica and on the highest hill of the Small Carpathian mountains Zaruby.
Smolenice and surroundings
The small village is situated to the borders of the plain of Trnava, in the eastern foothills of Small Carpathian mountains. On the hill over the village the Smolenice Castle is located.
First the castle had defensive function. It was built probably in the 14th century. It belonged to various noble families and from 1777 was the property of the Palffy family, which began to build in the beginning of the 20th century the new family residence in place of the old castle. From the original castle only a part of the outside rampart with a cannon bastion is preserved. The architecture of the new castle was made following the example of the architecture of the castles in Central France. Its romantic aspect is completed by the close park with meadows and forests that arrive until the Small Carpathian mountains. Today the Smolenice castle is the seat of the scientists of the SAV (the Slovak Academy of Sciences) and welcomes different sessions, accommodates scientific symposia and conferences.
Above the village the ruins of the Dobra Voda castle are situated. The castle was built probably in the 13th century like defence castle. The first written record of the castle dates to 1263. In 1762 it is burnt, later was rebuilded partially and it was used like prison for the subjects. It is remained uninhabited from the ending of the 18th century and only the wall of the palace, of the chapel and of the castle walls were preserved.
In the neighbourhood of the village, 330 m above the level of the sea there are situated the ruins of the monastery and of the St. Catherine church from the beginning of the 17th century. Nearby it is located the hunting residence Planinka.
Near-by the village is water reservoir, great facilityfor water sports and fishing. Above the villageare situated ruins of watch-fort Ostrý kameň builtin the 13th century. Surrounding of Buková isprotected land with rare flora and fauna species.
The village is well known by exquisite aristocraticseat. Master-builder Hausmann built the Classicistaristocratic residence in 1793 – 1795 on the place offormer residence. Thanks to Jozef Bruinsvik it wasre-designed in 1820 – 1828 and ranked among themost beautiful aristocratic seats in Slovakia. In theneighbourhood is English Park with a little lake andrare wood-species. Grand musician L. v. Beethovencomposed here famous Moonlight Sonata op.27. InRenaissance house nearby the residence is situatedexposition about life and work of L. v. Beethoven.
The most visited castle in Slovakia, national culturalmonument. It is a representative aristocraticresidence with rich interior stucco and frescodecoration. In the castle premises are permanentexpositions of historical furniture and weapons.Exposition includes the castle chapel, thehistorical library, the castle pharmacy and theknight room, the castle painting-gallery and thecastle cellars. It is also possible to see the basementand the defensive system of the castle.Inside the castle is falcon court called Astur whichposses the major collection of predatory animalsin Slovakia. Members of Slovak falconers clubattached to Slovak huntsman union organise predatoryprofessionally commented animal’s shows.
open: April,1. – October,31. daily (without Monday) from 10.00 to 17.00 h.
Contact: +421 704 / 649 53 16 extension 127, +421 704 / 647 82 53